Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Making Substitutions

Sometimes recipes call for certain ingredients that I don't have on hand or can't find at the supermarket.

During times such as these, one needs to make adjustments. Such was the case when I tried to make this recipe for Beefaroni Casserole from Heather's website.

Beefaroni casserole
2 TBS olive oil
1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
15 oz canned tomato sauce
2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp calorie-free sweetener (use sugar if you prefer)
1 heaping TBS minced garlic
2 c uncooked whole-wheat macaroni
1/2 c shredded FF or soy cheddar cheese
1/2 c shredded FF or soy mozzarella cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375*F. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add beef, onion, and green pepper, and cook until beef is browned. Stir in mushrooms, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, sweetener/sugar, and garlic. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9" casserole dish sprayed with Pam. Spread cooked macaroni evenly over meat mixture. Layer cheddar and mozzarella cheese evenly over the top. Cover and bake for 30 minutes; uncover and bake for 15 more minutes. Serves 6

For instance, this recipe says that you are supposed to add mushrooms, and I was all out. I had a ton of little zucchini to use, so I made a substitution.

Lots of zucchini

The pasta layer over the meat layer
The recipe called for shredded soy cheese of the cheddar variety. I didn't have that, but I did have cheddar cheese in square form, so I substituted.



Looks like it turned out alright to me!
I loved this meal. It was so delicious and had the right amount of comfort food feel.
Question of the Day:
Do you make substitutions in cooking or do you follow recipes word for word?
Until next time!
~Anne Marie

5 comments:

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

Yums that looks so good. I try to follow recipes but like you said sometimes you have to make do with what you have on hand. It usually turns out yummy anyways lol

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

I think your version turned out just lovely!

I never have the thousand and one ingredients to make the recipe perfectly, so I never follow them!

I do, however try to follow them when baking because that can get screwed up really quickly!

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

I usually follow recipes word for word. I'm scared of substitutions!

momentanew said... Best Blogger Tips

Ohhhh that looks delicious! I usually follow a recipe as is the first time and then make substitutions the second time around. The only changes I'll make the first time around is if the oil/butter they've recommended is out of control, I'll probably decrease the amount! I hope the dish was as delicious as it looked! :)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I make substitutions a lot ... and it looks like yours worked for you, because that casserole looks SO good!