Wednesday, November 4, 2009

It's That Season!

Well....it's not exactly Christmas, but it sure is pomegranate season! I can't get enough of the goodness that is pomegranate. After reading about them on Roni's blog a few years ago, I went out and picked one up for myself. If I can't make summer last longer, I might as well look forward to the deliciousness that is pomegranate. Pomegranate season is usually from October until January, so if you haven't gone out and tried one yet, now's your chance!

When picking out one of these beauties, go for one that is heavy for its size, like this guy.



Cut the top off, and you will be greeted with the edible part of the fruit-the arils.



If you look closely, you can see how the pomegranate is separated into 5 sections. Use the sections as a guide to scour the pomegranate.

At this point, you can put the sections in a bowl of water and get the arils out with your fingers. As a warning-don't wear any clothing that you don't want ruined. If you follow this method, you shouldn't get any pomegranate juice on you, but be warned that the juice does stain!

Scrape any white flesh pieces off of the top of the water, and there you have it! I put mine through the strainer and end up with something like this....





You can read more about how to cut open a pomegranate here.

I'm so glad that I tried this fruit. It's so much fun finding new foods, isn't it?

Question of the Day:
Have you ever tried a food because of a food blog?

I couldn't begin to tell you the number of foods I have tried because I saw it on a food blog. Some of them include acorn squash, bulgur, couscous and many many more!

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

8 comments:

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

OH I needed this post! I want to buy a pomegranite but I never do because I am intimidated by these suckers ha

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) said... Best Blogger Tips

I've been meaning to pick up a pom...I think I might do that this week!

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

I've tried so many different foods from blogs. Steel cut oats, butternut squash, almond butter.. the list is endless! I'm not a fan of poms though - too much work and I don't like them that much! They do look pretty though.

Dawn Dishes It Out said... Best Blogger Tips

So many times I have tried food because of blogs! Thank God for blogs!!! It has expanded m horizon of foods.

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

Yay! Someone else eats poms! I love them and I trash my kitchen peeling them, but they are so worth the work!

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

They ARE a lot of work, but I agree-they are so worth it!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I changed the whole way I eat because of food blogs!!! I am actually planning on doing a post about it, because everything I eat on my blog is so different from the way I ate before - not that I ate poorly before. I hated oatmeal before I started blogging, and I hadn't had a green monster either. There are SO many foods that I have tried specifically because I have seen them on blogs.

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Jolene-I can't believe I forgot about green monsters! I would have never tried one had it not been for food blogs.