Thursday, November 12, 2009

Beef and Bulgar

I'm very thankful to have a husband who doesn't mind when I experiment in the kitchen. No lie, I could seriously serve the man dirt and he would respond with "this is the best dirt I have ever eaten!"

I can't tell you how many times I've cooked up a batch of bulgar. The husband, being the curiously guy he is, is intrigued by it, but has never tasted it. Even though he doesn't mind when I experiment, he won't try any food that I make for myself. So, trying to be somewhat sneaky, I decided to make a beef and bulgar casserole from Heather's website. I adjusted the ingredients so that it would fit in a 9x13 pan.

Beef and bulgur casserole

2 lb lean ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 large onion chopped (about 1 cup)
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups uncooked bulgur
3 c water
3 TBS fresh or 1 TBS dried parsley
2 tsp beef bouillon granules (I omitted this)
1.5 tsp salt (I omitted this also)
1.5 tsp fresh or 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 c grated FF or soy parmesan cheese

Directions

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook ground beef and onion in 10" skillet, stirring frequently, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese. Pour into ungreased 2.5 quart casserole. Cover and bake about 45 minutes or until bulgar is tender. Stir in cheese. Sprinkle with fresh parsley if desired.

Serves 6


Right after the dried bulgar was added

Out of the oven-it kinda reminds me of stuffing!

Close up
The husband and I really enjoyed this casserole. It was a nice change from some of the other foods we've been eating, and I think it's something I'll be making again!
Question of the Day:
Tell me about your favorite recipe/meal/food.
My favorite food is my grandmom's homemade green spaghetti. It's green because she puts spinach in the dough, but you can't taste it at all! I'm telling you, the stuff is amazing!
Until next time!
~Anne Marie

7 comments:

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) said... Best Blogger Tips

It looks delicious! :) I'm glad the husband enjoyed it!

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

That looks pretty good...the husband is a lucky man.

Dude the one thing I miss about one of my ex's was Sunday Dinner (he was Italian)...yums

My fave dish would have to be an eggplant casserole that my mom makes. Followed by her amazing rice pudding =)

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks, Mari!

peanutbutterbliss said... Best Blogger Tips

sounds like a yummy recipe :)
i really want to try bulgar soon!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I have so many favourite meals, but one that I really like is sweet and sour meatballs with rice!

brandi said... Best Blogger Tips

I've made that SO many times - we love it! It's so good and easy.

Lele said... Best Blogger Tips

I had never really thought of bulgar in hot dishes! I love it in tabbouleh- Cooking Light has a killer recipe that I use when I have leftover pork (or any meat really):
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=689950
But now I want to try your stew!