Monday, October 26, 2009

Weekend Salads

On the weekends, I've gotten into the habit of making salads for lunches. Even though I typically have a salad every day with my dinner, there's something I like about eating a big bowl of lettuce-y goodness for my main meal.

Before heading out to work at Weight Watchers, I made myself a salad. This one included a leftover chickpea parmesan burger, shredded mozzarella, a slice of cheddar cheese and tomatoes. It was perfection in a bowl.




Obviously, there has to be some dressing for the salad. Since the burger was in the salad, I didn't want to go with a vinaigrette dressing. I had no thousand island dressing in the house, so I made my own by combining ketchup with mayonnaise. Apparently, you can add relish to the mixture to make it more like thousand island dressing, but I never had it that way as a kid, and I wasn't about to break the "tradition". Am I the only one who's ever done this?


Salsa on the left, homemade thousand island dressing on the right

This weekend is going to be so busy. I know it's only Monday, but I can't help thinking of the weekend ahead. Thursday I have a wedding rehearsal, Saturday is the wedding and Sunday the husband and I are celebrating my mother-in-law's 60th birthday in the morning and my grandmom's 82nd birthday in the evening. Good thing the husband and I took Monday off from work! After all is said and done, though, two of my really good friends will be married, and two very important birthdays will be celebrated.

Question of the Day:
What do you like to add to your salads?

I think add-ins make a salad so much better. Some of my favorites include almonds, croutons and raisins.

Enjoy your day!

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

10 comments:

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

That looks like a fabulous salad!

I like to add toasted almonds, hard boiled egg, cheese, maybe oranges or cranberries...gosh this is making me hungry lol

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I like to add cheese!!!

My favorite things to put in salads are:
- Green onions
- Mushrooms
- Cheese

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow that does sound like a busy weekend. At least it's filled with fun stuff!

My favorite salad add ins are walnuts, feta cheese, apples, and avocado.

brandi said... Best Blogger Tips

it sounds like a fun + busy weekend :)

I love having big salads.

I love putting leftover grains on them, berries when they're in season, other fruit and nuts! So good.

4shley (FitBits) said... Best Blogger Tips

Mmmm... I have a new found love of salad these days. I'm really happy about that. In the summer, I love very simple salads. Mixed greens, some fresh herbs, citrus vinaigrette, maybe some grapefruit segments.

Right now, I'm really into apples - happens every autumn, I guess. I'm digging baby spinach salads with apples, feta, dried cranberries, some crushed nuts (if I have them - usually with a nonfat balsamic vinaigrette. So tasty!

If I'm feeling a need for some protein, I'll add in some canned tuna or kidney beans - I never thought of adding these to salads before, but it turns out I really enjoy it.

*Naomi* said... Best Blogger Tips

that salad looks great!!

I love all sorts of goodies on my salad like dried cranberries, feta or goat cheese, walnuts, avocado, egg white, almonds (not all together of course!) I love to try new toppings for salads!

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

I like to add fruit to my salads! I am also convinced that ketchup goes with everything, so I love your dressing. Hope you had lots of fun at all your events!

eatmovelove said... Best Blogger Tips

Just found your blog! Congrats on such a weight-loss! And I loooooveee your pic of the choc-cake...mmmmm I want it now :)

Great salad! I've been wondering about veggie burgers - what's a good kind to get - anybody?? I usually see Yves - but it seems like alot of Sodium for just one patty - and I'd probably want two :)...I guess I could try making some...hmmm

Oh and salads - everyhing and anything as add-ins!! Love bell peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, cheese!, sunflower seeds...I could go on :)

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

eatmovelove-thank you! the picture of the cake cracks me up-my cousin tried to cut himself a piece of cake during christmas one year, and that's the slice he cut! as far as veggie burgers, i'm a fan of morningstar farms' pizza burger and boca burger's chik'n burger. thanks for reading!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) said... Best Blogger Tips

I love adding veggie burgers to salads! Or tempeh. Love me some protein!