Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Squash and Mish Mosh

Here we are at another Wednesday and it's still raining. I'm hoping that it clears up by the wedding on Saturday!

I've been seeing squash around many blogs lately, and I decided it was time to give it a try. I was intimidated by the way it looks. It was on sale at Shop Rite this week, so I picked up a small one just in case I didn't like it.
See? He doesn't look so scary, right?
I cut the squash in half length wise and scooped out the seeds. I took a picture of the inside, but I must have had the camera on a weird setting because it looked a little purple. I posted the picture because it has some sort of Halloween spooky theme going on....or at least that's what I keep telling myself!

After the seeds were scooped out, I placed it face down on a dish and microwaved it for 13 minutes.
I stumbled across a recipe for stuffed squash that included ground beef and tomato sauce, but I didn't have any on hand. I ended up using black beans, onions, green peppers and salsa and sauteed it until the onions and peppers were soft.



After everything was ready to go, I stuffed them into the squash



And topped them with some mozzarella cheese


Put it in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 20-25 minutes


I had half of the squash for lunch yesterday and it was AWESOME! It kind of reminded me of spaghetti squash in the sense that it took on the flavor of the stuffing. I think this is something that I will be adding to my list more often. I told the husband that he needs to try it, and he was a bit hesitant. Maybe I'll work it into the meal plans one of these days.
Question of the Day:
Have you tried anything new recently? Tell me about it!
Until next time!
~Anne Marie














9 comments:

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

WOW that looks so good and easy to make! I have been craving stuffed peppers lately...is it strange something that you never had? lol

The new thing that I tried and LOVED were my pumpkin pancakes!

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks, Mari! You should really make stuffed peppers at some point-they rock!

Pumpkin pancakes sound amazing. I couldn't tell you the last time I had pancakes.

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) said... Best Blogger Tips

Yum, those look amazing!

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

Very creative- that looks very good!

My new thing is still waiting for me to make- a kabocha squash!

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice work! I'm telling you- this is like my FAVORITE dinner :)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

Very creative recipe!! Looks delicious too :-)

eatmovelove said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow - stuffed squash?! I never thought of that! Love it - cheese, veggies, meat/beans...what's not to love?!

Funny - I did try something new just tonight - I had a Sweet Potatoe Squash - baked with salmon and veggies and sauce. Yum. I posted a pic of the squash on my site. I've been seeing Squash (any and all types) on blogs sooo much, I just had to try. It did not dissapoint!! I ate the whole thing ;) and I'm stuffed....

Beth @ DiningAndDishing said... Best Blogger Tips

Yum! I have tried baked squash but never stuffed. Looks amazing!!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!