Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Recipe from Grandmom

As a kid (and even now as an adult), holidays are spent at grandmom's house. It is always so much fun going to grandmom's and knowing you are going to get an amazing meal. From homemade green spaghetti and meatballs to ham to celery wrapped in Prosciutto, everyone knows that the hot spot is at her house.


Before every holiday meal, my grandmom serves Italian Wedding Soup. I remember all of the grandchildren fighting over who got the most meatballs, and even now, as grownups, we still like to see who gets the most meatballs in their bowl. The last time we had the wedding soup, my grandmom proudly announced that she made over 100 mini meatballs for the soup. I think everyone was smiling that day!

About a month ago, I e-mailed my grandmom and asked her for her recipe for the soup. Since the weather is getting cooler, I thought it would the perfect meal. I was beyond excited when I got her e-mail a few hours later with the recipe:

2 cans of College Inn Chicken Broth (my grandmom makes her own broth, but this will substitute just fine. I used one of the really big cans (32 oz or so, and two little cans)
1 package of frozen spinach thawed and drained of any excess water (I completely forgot to buy frozen spinach, but ended up using a bag and a half of fresh spinach)
2 eggs (I used one whole egg and one egg white)
1/2 pound ground beef (I used extra lean ground turkey)
Parmesan Cheese

Take the 1/2 pound of ground beef and make very tiny meatballs like this
















Bake them in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
Since I forgot to buy frozen spinach, I wilted it down in a pan while the meatballs were baking.

from this
















to this
















Once the meatballs are cooked, add everything in the pot except for the eggs and the parmesan cheese. Heat to a boil. While the soup is heating, beat the eggs very well and add a little bit of parmesan cheese to the mixture.

Once the soup is boiling, add the eggs. The soup will be finished once the eggs are cooked (this takes very little time-a few seconds, to be exact!)

Enjoy!
















I wanted to give a huge thank you to my grandmom for sharing this recipe with me so that I could make it and share it with you. I love, love, love this soup, and know that every time I eat it, I'll be thinking of my grandmom and how great she is. I'm going to e-mail her a link to this post so that she can see how I did for my first time.

Just for fun, here's a picture of me and my grandmom a year ago at Longwood Gardens. My mom, aunt, grandmom and cousin spent the day there while my then fiancée had his bachelor party. We had such a great time.
















Question of the Day:
What's your favorite soup?

Aside from my grandmom's soup, my favorite would be tomato soup. It goes so well with a grilled cheese!


Until next time!
~Anne Marie

14 comments:

Gina said... Best Blogger Tips

love this post!! i think my mom will too!

my favorite soup is definitely tortilla soup!! yum!

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks, Gina! I've never had tortilla soup-I'll e-mail you to see if you have a recipe!

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

this post totally made me start crying =(. I lost my grandmother almost 2 years ago and this just brought back so many memories...

you are very lucky =)

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Aww Mari, I'm sorry to hear about your grandmom. I agree with you-I'm a lucky girl to have my grandmom.

sam said... Best Blogger Tips

Ok well week one is over! weigh in today! I really hope it gets easier! thanks for getting back to me, and I am sure I will e mail you with questions and concerns!

Samantha~ said... Best Blogger Tips

That is a tough call....its a tie between my mom's minestrone soup and tomato bisque...holy yum!

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

You're welcome, Sam! I can't wait to hear about your weigh in! I'm sure you'll do fantastic!

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

The picture of you and your grandma is so cute! My favorite soup is anything cooked by my mom! I am also a sucked for pumpkin soup, miso soup, or a super spicy chicken tortilla soup.

Meredith said... Best Blogger Tips

Can't wait to try that recipe. Looks great!

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) said... Best Blogger Tips

Aww I love this--SO sweet! :) The soup looks delicious and I love the pic with Grams!

Bec said... Best Blogger Tips

thanks for the yummy soup recipe! I love hot and sour soup or tomato the best

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

Aww grandparents are the best! To me, there's nothing better than my grandma's baked macaroni & cheese :)

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

You're welcome for the recipe! I'm glad you all enjoyed it!

brandi said... Best Blogger Tips

family recipes are the best.

My favorite soup would probably be a tie between tomato and homemade chicken noodle.