Monday, October 19, 2009

Mix it Once, Mix it Twice, Mix that Chicken Soup with Rice

Am I the only one who remembers that book?  Apparently, there's a whole song that goes along with the it....who knew?  This book has been in my mind since I made chicken soup this weekend.

It has been unseasonably cold here in Philadelphia, and lately, I haven't had the time to make a big batch of soup like a few weeks ago.  I knew that I wanted to have some soup on hand for this week's lunch, so I tried my best to throw together something quick, easy and delicious.  I came up with this soup and from start to finish, it took about 20 minutes.  Not too bad, if you ask me!

"Throw it Together Chicken Soup"

46.5 oz Reduced sodium fat free chicken broth
1 box of shortcut chicken (this is precut, precooked chicken)
Whole wheat spaghetti, broken in half (I used less than a handful)
1 16oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables (my mix included cauliflower, broccoli and carrots)

Heat all ingredients except the spaghetti to a boil.  Once the soup is boiling, add the pasta and cook until done.  I couldn't believe how fast and easy this was to throw together.  Plus, it's a great cheap meal!




















The box of precooked chicken that I used.

The result

















Why is it that the pictures look better on the screen than they do when they are uploaded?  Any tips on picture taking?

Question of the Day:
What was your favorite childhood book?

I loved (and still do) The Giving Tree.  What a phenomenal story!

Hope you enjoy your day!

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

7 comments:

Gina said... Best Blogger Tips

Good Night, Moon; Where The Wild Things Are; Stone Soup

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

Your soup looks wonderful. I have no photography advice- if you look at my pictures, it will be obvious why!

I liked "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie"

Have a lovely day!

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

Yummy Soup!

I loved any book from the Amelia Bedelia series =)

Meredith said... Best Blogger Tips

I love The Giving Tree too! I also love Where the Wild Things Are and Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Love the chicken noodle soup!

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

Mmm I love homemade soup. It's the best!

I loved the Giving Tree too. And Where the Sidewalk Ends. I also remember something about a stinky cheese man but can't remember the name of the book. I have the worst memory!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I loved the book "Henry's Awful Mistake." It is out of print, and I have been trying to find it forever!

brandi said... Best Blogger Tips

"If you Give a Mouse a Cookie":)

I made chicken noodle soup last night, too!