Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Homemade Veggie Burgers

I've been toying around with making a homemade veggie burger for quite some time.  I was hesitant about trying to come up with something on my own, so when I saw Meghann's post about a chickpea parmesan burger, I knew that it was something I'd definitely have to try.

•3/4 cup Chickpeas
•1/4 cup Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs
•1/4 cup Marinara Sauce
•1 T minced Garlic
•1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
•3 Basil Leaves, chopped
•1/4 cup Sliced Mushrooms

Put all the ingredients in a food processor and let it whirl. When everything is blended divide the mix in half and create two patties.


I didn't have any fresh basil, so I used the stuff from a jar.  I also don't own a food processor, so I mashed the chickpeas with a fork.  It worked just as well, plus there was less mess to clean up!
















Cooking in the skillet


















Finished and ready to eat!

I couldn't believe how much they reminded me of a pizza burger.  The addition of the cheese and marinara sauce really added something special to it.  This is something I will be making over and over again.  Thanks for the recipe, Meghann!

Question of the Day:
What's your favorite kind of burger? 
While I love a good hamburger once in a while, my favorite is Morningstar Farms' Tomato and Basil Pizza Burger.  It is amazing!

I hope you all enjoy your day today!

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

9 comments:

Rose said... Best Blogger Tips

*Saving this one*

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) said... Best Blogger Tips

This sounds SO good!
Really I love ANY kind of burger, but this one...YUM!

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

That sounds like a really good recipe.

Honestly I am not a huge fan of Burgers from Morningstar or Boca but I love the "chicken" products

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

I've never heard of a pizza burger but it sounds absolutely amazing. I'm bookmarking this recipe!

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

That looks like a delicious recipe- basil makes anything taste more gourmet!

I'm not a huge fan of veggie burger products, but i do like Dr Praeger's burgers every once in a while.

brandi said... Best Blogger Tips

I love a good burger, too, especially a buffalo burger, but black bean burgers are great.

Samantha~ said... Best Blogger Tips

They have a pizza burger??? WHY have I not discovered this!!! I will have to look for those next time I am in the store. Also I will have to try this recipe, it sounds awesome!

Emily said... Best Blogger Tips

I love making my own veggie burgers. They're so easy, and seriously..their better than the frozen veggie burgers, in my opinion!!

Allison (Balance in Bites) said... Best Blogger Tips

Ooooh I love seeing how people make their own veggie burgers! Everyone's are different - some use black beans, some use chick peas, others use corn or spinach, with different bread crumbs, etc etc. Yours sounds pretty delicious!