Friday, October 9, 2009

Chinese Food My Way

If there was one type of cuisine that I could eat almost every day, it would be chinese.  I LOVE chinese food almost as much as my grandmom's homemade spaghetti.  Whether it's General Tsao's Chicken, Chicken and Broccoli, Sesame Chicken or Lo Mein, I can't get enough of the stuff! 

I don't know about you, but it's harder for me to eat healthier on the weekends than it is during the week.  For me, it's because of the structure of the weekdays.  I pack my lunch and know what I'm having for dinner every night.  On the weekends, it's much more sporadic.  Sometimes the husband and I cook, other times we don't, and that's where the problem arises.  I've talked to Gina, (my Weight Watchers guru) about my issues, and she suggested buying a chinese sauce and making my own version of chinese food.

I used this sauce that I  found at Shop Rite, poured it over the chicken and baked it for about a half hour.  While the chicken was baking, I cooked up some couscous and broccoli. 




















When everything was ready, I asked the husband to portion out a little bit of couscous and broccoli.  I thought it was funny that he thought that this mound of couscous was a "little bit."

















Although it didn't taste exactly like General Tsao's Chicken from the chinese restaurant, it was really good, with just the right amount of spiciness.  I'm looking forward to trying some more sauces from the store-thanks for the idea, Gina!!

Any fun weekend plans anyone?  My cousin is turning 14, so on Saturday we're going to her house to celebrate.  I pretty excited!

I hope that you all enjoy your weekend, whatever you do!

Question of the Day:
What's your favorite ethnic cuisine?
I have to say Italian first and then Chinese!

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

6 comments:

brandi said... Best Blogger Tips

Hmm...favorite cuisine:
Mexican IF authentic
Italian, same
Thai!!! Yum.

We're hoping to go to the football game, but I'm really hoping it's not pouring for it :/ we'll see!

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

Mine are Italian; I love Calamari and Shrimp in spicy marinara sauce yuuuums. Chinese...Sesame Chicken with house special fried rice and crab ragoon! Mexican; burritos, fajitas, and Nacho OH MY. And GREEK!

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

I love Japanese, Indian, and Mexican! The spicier, the better!

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

I love Japanese and Mexican. I can also handle a little bit of Indian.


Have you tried any of the sauces at Trader Joes? They are all excellent and add a lot of flavor!

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

No, I've never tried the sauces from Trader Joe's, but I'll be on the lookout for them-thanks for the heads up!

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

My favorite cuisines are Italian and Japanese. I can't get enough of either :)