Tuesday, September 29, 2009

It's That Time of Year!

Even though it's sad to see summer go, I love the Fall weather.  It's nice to walk outside and feel the cool breeze against you and see the leaves change colors.  Another reason I love Fall?  Spaghetti squash is back in season!

















I first discovered spaghetti squash a few years ago through a Weight Watchers meeting.  Someone described it as a good substitute for pasta, so right after the meeting, I ran to the grocery store to pick one up.  There are many ways to cook a spaghetti squash, but because I am impatient, I went with the microwave method.  Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds.

















Wrap one half in clear plastic wrap and put it face down on a dish.  Make sure that the dish has a little bit of water on it.  This will help the spaghetti squash cook.  Put it in the microwave for ten minutes.  Remove the plastic wrap from the squash and let it cool.  Once it is cool, run your fork along the squash.  You will see it come off of the skin in strands, much like spaghetti.
















Top with your favorite sauce and enjoy! 
















The most common question I get whenever someone sees me eating this is "does it really taste like spaghetti?"  To be honest, no.  It's chewier and heartier than your regular pasta.  Spaghetti squash takes on the flavor of whatever sauce you put on it.  When I make it with marinara sauce, it is a really good pasta substitute, but just don't expect it to taste like traditional pasta.

Question of the Day
Have you ever tried a spaghetti squash?  What's your favorite topping?

I'm a fan of putting marinara or alfredo sauce on the squash.  I've heard of people putting butter and cinnamon on it, but I've never tried it that way.

Enjoy the beautiful day!

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

4 comments:

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

I have never tried it but I have always been curious about it...

can you make it on stovetop?

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Mari,

I googled to see what I could come up with, and apparently, you can prepare it on the stove! Here are the directions:

Stove (Boiling|Boil)
Heat a pot of water large enough to hold the whole squash
When the water is boiling, drop in the squash and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on its size
When a fork goes easily into the flesh, the squash is done

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

I love spaghetti squash! I like it with tomato sauce. It goes good with cheese too!

Bec said... Best Blogger Tips

i like just a regular old tomato sauce