Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hummus Among Us

This is the end of the work week for me.  Believe it or not, Saturday will be one year since I got married.  The husband and I decided to take tomorrow off from work before the nice long holiday weekend.  I cannot believe it's been a year already!  Tomorrow night, the husband and I are going to Maggiano's Italian Restaurant.  They have such amazing food!!  I'm bringing my camera with me, but sometimes I feel funny taking pictures of the food I eat while I'm at a restaurant.  Does anyone else feel like everyone's staring at you?

 I'm going to try to do a few posts while I'm away, so I'm hoping that blogspot will cooperate with me.

I have a huge soft spot in my heart for hummus.  Sabra's roasted red pepper happens to be my favorite kind, but Trader Joe's horseradish hummus comes in at a very close second.  After looking at the ingredients on the label, I thought that it might not be too hard to make on my own. 

The chickpeas being rinsed through the strainer.

I didn't use tahini because I didn't have it in the house, and I didn't want to add in all of the extra fat. I put chickpeas, a little water (next time I'll probably use broth) and garlic in the blender and let it rip. It tasted a little bland, so I began grabbing some spices from my cabinet and adding them in. I made a fatal mistake when I grabbed the red container of what I thought was hot pepper flakes and started shaking it like it was my job. What I really added was cinnamon. Yeah, so NOT a good idea! Needless to say, my hummus has a bit of a cinnamon taste, but it isn't all that terrible. I've been eating it periodically throughout the week, and I've been enjoying it.















You can't even tell there's cinnamon in there, can you?!

Oh well, we all make silly mistakes in the kitchen, right?


Question of the Day:

Do you like hummus?  What's your favorite kind?

Until next time!

~Anne Marie

4 comments:

Rose said... Best Blogger Tips

I love homemade hummus more than anything. Yours looks great!

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks, Rose!

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

Haha cinnamon hummus actually doesn't sound too bad. I'd try it!

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Lol-thanks! It wouldn't have been terrible, except that I had already added garlic. Oops!