Monday, September 21, 2009

Hand-Me-Downs

I hope you are all enjoying your Monday!  I can't believe that my class starts today.  Even though I work full-time, I am lucky enough to work at a University where they will pay for your classes, up to a certain amount of credits.  I've been taking classes for the past 2-3 years and while I enjoy it, the first day of class is always stressful!  Thankfully, I'm able to take classes online, so when I have down time at work, I'm able to do some class work.  This quarter, I'm taking General Psychology. I can already tell it's going to require a lot of reading.  Hopefully, the quarter will fly by.  We'll see!!

This weekend was a particularly  busy one, but it was full of fun.  My mom has been going through her house and getting rid of stuff that has been around for awhile.  I had my eye on one particular item....




















Her bread machine!

As a child, I remember my parents buying the bread machine and having homemade bread for about a month straight. My dad would throw everything into the bread maker and then three hours and fourty minutes later, we'd have homemade bread.  Since it hasn't been used in forever, my mom was ready to get rid of it. When I told her I was interested, she was more than happy to pass it on. 

Ever since she found out about the blog, she has been e-mailing me recipes and telling me about all kinds of good things to make.  I don't know who's more excited about it-me or her!  In addition to the bread machine, she also loaded me up with plenty of cookbooks.
















As soon as I got home on Saturday, I knew I wanted to make some whole wheat bread.  I followed the instructions almost to the tee, set the timer and impatiently waited for my fresh bread to bake.  While it was baking, I noticed a trouble shooting section in the manual.  Something caught my eye-it said not to use an entire packet of yeast because it would be too much for the bread.  OOPS!!  The manual said one of two things would happen.  Either it would rise too much, or not rise enough. 
















The ingredients in the bread machine

When the timer sounded, I opened the lid and found this:
















Looks like my bread depressed and became miniature!
 















From the side

Even though it was a mini loaf, it still tasted delicious!
















Question of the Day:
What's your favorite kind of bread?

My favorite is definitely cinnamon raisin.  Can't beat it!

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

6 comments:

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh yums! I wish I had a breadmaker...I can just imagine how yummy your house must smell.

Wow what is my favorite bread? That's like asking a parent to pick their favorite child lol...but cinnamon raisin IS good =)

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) said... Best Blogger Tips

Mmmm I would love to make my own bread!

I'm seriously in love with this Whole Grain Flax & Omega-3 Bread I get at the store--it tastes so delicious!

Samantha~ said... Best Blogger Tips

By far whole wheat is my favorite. When I was a kid though, I absolutely love potato bread! It was so much more flavorful than white bread!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) said... Best Blogger Tips

Fresh bread is the best!

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

That's so cool you get to take some classes for free. I'd love to be able to do that.

My favorite breads are the ones with a lot of seeds. I love when they have sunflower seeds on the crust!

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks! I am really lucky to work at a college, and I keep reminding myself of that when the classes get overwhelming! I've never had the kind of bread with seeds on it, but I've always wanted to try them!