Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Crockpot Cookin'

When I got engaged, the number one thing people told me to register for was a crockpot.  I can't tell you how many times people have told me that it's been a lifesaver for them, or how easy it is to use.  The husband and I registered for one, and since we've gotten it, we've used it a handful of times.  It definitely cuts back on being in the kitchen (which I don't particularly mind) and is definitely easy to use. 

When I think of meals in the crockpot, the first thought that comes to mind is stew.  Over the winter months, the husband and I make stew just about every weekend.  During the summer, we didn't even take the crockpot out of our cabinets.  For some reason, that warm, home-cooked feel wasn't appealing to either of us.  However, this past weekend, the husband and I had a busy schedule, so I planned to break open the crockpot for the Fall season. 

Instead of cooking stew, I opted to cook roast beef.  My mom has this awesome way of cooking to the point where the meat literally falls apart.  Say goodbye to tough pot roast!  My mom swears by cooking it on low all day, so that's exactly what I did.

I chopped up some onions and potatoes and threw them in with the roast.  I also put in an envelope of onion soup mix and about 1/4 cup of water. 

After about 7 hours on low, I came home to a wonderful smelling meal

















It may not look good to you, but it was pretty delicious.

Question of the Day:
What's your favorite crockpot meal?

Even though I wasn't a fan of it when I was younger, I really love making stew.  There are so many options!

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

8 comments:

Samantha~ said... Best Blogger Tips

I love pot roast, but unfortunately the BF does not. I would say our favorite thing to make with the crock pot is salsa chicken, it is very tender and incredibly easy to shred. I use it in enchiladas, tacos, even just by itself!

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) said... Best Blogger Tips

This is going to sound crazy but umm is a crockpot the same thing as a slow cooker? And if so, I do have one but have never used it! lol
I never know what to make in it, stew sounds delicious!

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

I have never used a crockpot. The thought of leaving something cooking while I am not home; scares me but now I am craving some stew...I love hearty stews

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Dawn,

Yup-crockpot and slow cooker are the same thing!

Mari,
I know what you mean...that's why I usually make my crockpot meal on a Sunday when I'll be home almost all day.

brandi said... Best Blogger Tips

I love using my crockpot!

soups and stews are so easy to just throw together.

I also like cooking mixed hot grain cereals in there on the weekends while I'm doing other things around the house.

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

I love crock pots! Ironically, my favorite thing to cook in them is stew with dumplings.

mikey said... Best Blogger Tips

i loovveee my crockpot. you can make anything in there. i usually make a pot roast with veggies. then the next day throw the leftover meat in there with some bbq sauce and shred it when it's tender and make sammies.

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) said... Best Blogger Tips

I definitely need to invest in one of these at some point! I saw a crockpot cookbook where they even made desserts in there!