Monday, August 10, 2009

Using What's On Hand

Happy Monday!


On Sunday, the husband and I were invited to a last minute BBQ. The host asked if I could bring a dessert, and I was more than happy to comply. My go-to dessert has ALWAYS been Rice Krispie Treats with mini chocolate chips. Rice Krispie Treats require little effort but always taste delicious. Plus, they are a big hit every time.


Unfortunately, I was out of marshmellows. With all of the rain yesterday, there was no way in heck I was venturing outside. I decided to raid my pantry and make what I had on hand. Turns out I had all of the ingredients for Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies, with no recipe. I get leery of making cookies with pure whole wheat flour. I tried to make some over the Christmas holiday, but they ended up harder than I would have liked.


After a quick trip to Google, I found out that Betty Crocker had a recipe . I tweaked it a little by cutting out 1/2 stick of butter, substituting mini chocolate chips for regular and using Splenda instead of sugar. I also made them using a rounded teaspoon, not a rounded tablespoon.

I was very pleased with the results.
I thought this little guy looked cute on the baking sheet.
All plated up and ready to go.


I ended up switching from this plate to a bigger one. There was no way I was going to make it to the BBQ without dropping it, so I decided it had to go!


Many people at the party commented that they were delicious. I thought they weren't too bad myself, but I am partial to anything with chocolate in it!


Like I promised last week, I have two new recipes I tried out for this week. I'm pretty excited to share them with you. I hope they taste as good as they look!


Until next time!
~Anne Marie

1 comments:

jjhampton said... Best Blogger Tips

Yum! I have a go to ccc recipe but they are by no means healthy and I am not even going to try!! Glad everyone liked your recipe!

~Justine