Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Pretty in Peach

Truthfully, I prefer to bake rather than cook. Don't get me wrong, I love making dinners for the hubby and I, but there's something about baking that is appealing. Maybe it's the aromas, the finishing product being something sweet, or the remembrance of holidays. Or.....maybe it's because I don't bake as often as I cook.

On Saturday I had my mom, brother and girlfriend over to the house for dinner. I'm almost always at my mom's house at some point during the weekend, but she's rarely at my house. She has some oddity about popping over for a visit that makes her feel uncomfortable. She likes to be invited over the house instead of telling me when she wants to come over, so I invited her to come over this weekend. I wonder if it's a generational thing.

I wanted to bake something special for dessert. I have my standard go-to's, like rice krispie treats or cookies, but I wanted to do something different this time. When I was at the BBQ a few weeks ago, someone brought a peach cake that looked outstanding. There were layers of peaches in the middle of the cake and on top. It looked so pretty that I decided to give it a try.

I baked the cake in the traditional diet coke method from Weight Watchers. Wherever I can cut calories without compromising taste, I will. You can get the recipe for the diet coke cake here.



Picked this up at Aldi's for $0.85. It was very tasty!


The ingredients on the oven



All mixed and ready to be baked
Cooling time!

I iced the first layer with fat free cool whip and added some canned peaches. The next time I do this, I would probably press the peaches into the cake so that the top layer lays nice and flat. It was a bit of a rocky road icing the rest of the cake!


The finished product.
I realize that I should havetaken a picture of the inside of the cake, which turned out beautiful. I was too busy eating it to think about photography.
Question of the Day;
Do you prefer to bake or to cook?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie






2 comments:

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

That's a hard question! You're right that there's definitely something about baking that's appealing but I like the finished product of my cooking better!

Gina said... Best Blogger Tips

i actually prefer to bake! pretty much for the same reasons as u!