Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A New Take on an Old Favorite

I am definitely a "cook once eat all work week" type of girl. After a long day at work, it's much easier to throw something in the microwave and make a salad than it is for me to make something from scratch. The way I cook is to typically make one type of casserole dish that will last for three meals, and figure out something to make on the other two days. My mainstay casserole dish is usually baked ziti. It's quick, it's easy, and I can't get enough of pasta and cheese!

This week, I wanted to do something different. With the husband working on house projects, I decided to take the time to twist my old go-to baked ziti recipe.

I guess I would call this Pasta with a Twist.

Ingredients:

1 box of whole wheat rotini
1/2 bag (or so) of frozen peas, defrosted
1/2 pound lean turkey
1 cup (plus a little extra) of part skim mozzarella cheese
1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cook the turkey in a skillet. Add the peas and cook until peas are defrosted
3. While turkey is browning, cook and drain the rotini
4. Combine the pasta, peas and turkey in a bowl
5. Add the marinara sauce and stir to combine
5. Place mixture into a 9x13 pan
6. Top with cheese
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted
8. Enjoy!

I remembered to take pictures of the process-yay!


I realize this may not look that appetizing, but wait until it's all finished before you judge!



Getting ready to go into the oven



All done!



I love melted cheese. It makes me smile!

Question of the Day:
When you cook, are you the type to follow a recipe word for word or do you whip up something on your own?

For me, I'm a recipe card girl about 99% of the time. While I don't have to follow a recipe exactly how it's written, I like to have a guide to go by!

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

0 comments: