Tuesday, August 25, 2009

New Casserole, New Love

Hello and happy Tuesday!

Is it just me, or are these weeks flying by? I cannot believe we are almost at the end of August. Seriously, where did the time go?

As you know, I have a sincere love of casseroles. They make my life so much easier! Since I've been trying to make new meals (and I think Gina will beat me if I make the BBQ chicken one more time), I saw a recipe that I've had bookmarked for awhile but haven't tried yet. I present to you Layered Fiesta Casserole.

Of course, I had to make some modifications. I remember when I first started cooking how I had to have every ingredient on the recipe list. I've calmed down since then, and have started adding my own twist to the recipes. In this one, for example, I used one giant pepper instead of a red one and a green one. Also, instead of using the 12 corn tortillas, I cut a six pack of Aldi's Flatout-type tortillas, and it worked perfectly. I couldn't find any 2% shredded cheddar cheese, so I went with 2% mozzarella.

While I was making the dish, I couldn't get over how pretty it looked in the skillet. Either I have just lost my mind by calling food pretty, or else I'm onto something. You be the judge.




See? Look how many colors!





Layering the tortillas, meat and veggie mixture


Out of the oven. I have to work on lighting for my pictures, but I think I'm getting better.

The husband and I ate this last night with a side salad. It was very filling, and the husband appreciated the ground turkey and tortilla combination. I think it reminded him of a taco.

Question of the Day:

What do you serve as a side dish with your meals? Are you usually a salad person, potato person or veggie person?

In the winter, I'm usually a frozen veggies kind of gal. In the summer, it's been mostly salad. Yum!

Until next time!

~Anne Marie





4 comments:

Gina said... Best Blogger Tips

omg love, love, love!! i want that recipe! derek would love it! and now i won't beat u. :)

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

aww thanks! you should make it-it's so easy!

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

I love casseroles too. I'm so excited for the cooler weather coming so I can start making them more often!

I'm the same as you with side dishes: salads in the summer, frozen veggies in the winter.

Donna said... Best Blogger Tips

Your recipe sounds really good! I would love to try it but my Kevie doesn't eat spinach at all -but maybe I could try it for Dad and I. Oh, and thanks soooo much for the shout out yesterday and mentioning me again today! I feel soooo loved! You rock and keep up the GREAT work.

P.S. I think I will name my turle "Timmy"