Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Mind Hunger vs. Body Hunger

I have been dabbling with intuitive eating. I think this method of approaching eating makes so much sense, provided I actively pay attention to my hunger and fullness cues. I had used intuitive eating in the past to defend my addiction to peanut butter and chocolate chips, but I'm ready for being honest this time around.

I am working towards getting rid of the "food guilt" I feel after over-indulging, and I think this will help. In my opinion, food guilt is not good for anyone! I'm learning that one cookie, one piece of cake, one anything is not going to throw my healthy choices down the tube, so long as it's in moderation.

What is most interesting to me about intuitive eating is discovering the difference between mind hunger and body hunger. I think I eat mostly because in my mind, I think I'm hungry. What I'm realizing is that I'm bored, stressed, or tired. When my body is hungry, my tummy growls, and I can tell that my body needs something in its system.

It's fascinating to see when I want to eat versus when I should eat. You know what else? Sometimes my body craves sweets, but most often, my body wants more natural foods. I think I'm going to like this journey.

Question of the Day:
What are your thoughts about intuitive eating? Have you ever tried it?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

2 comments:

Gina said... Best Blogger Tips

I've been trying, and last night I did it halfway through my meal. Pretty much forgot about it in the beginning because I was so hungry!

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

That happens to me at dinner! I'm usually so hungry that I forget to remind myself to stop when I'm comfortable.