Monday, August 17, 2009

A Different Kind of Ravioli

Happy Monday! (Or not so happy, depending on how you look at the start of the school/work week!)

I've been craving something different. Something with pasta, cheese and gravy (or, as some non-Italians call it, sauce). I decided to make fried ravioli's. I have never had them before, but after much discussion with Gina, I knew that I had to try them.

This recipe was so simple, but it did take some prep work. I let this bag defrost in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.


After they were mostly thawed out, I dipped them in one egg white (until I realized that I needed way more than that! I ended up using another whole egg to finish breading the bag) and then into breadcrumbs.

Even though I LOVE fried food, I don't eat it often. In order to cut back on some of the fat, I tried to use cooking spray. This didn't turn out as well as I hoped, so I kept adding small amounts of olive oil. I was shocked at how much oil the ravioli's needed to fry. The ironic thing was that they weren't greasy at all, but they still required more oil than I would have imagined to get that nice, crispy texture that we all know and love.



I put the hubby in charge of the frying so that I could get some pictures.


Here's the first batch out of the skillet.

I heated up some gravy and served it on the side. It was delicious and a nice treat!

Question of the Day:
What's one food that you love but don't eat often?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

1 comments:

Gina said... Best Blogger Tips

chicken fingers!! i rarely eat them ebcause they are a "treat". if u fry them correctly, the white meat can be very moist, and i love that!