Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Ditching the Scale

As many of you know, I'm a member of Weight Watchers. I realize that not everyone follows it, and I know it's not the only way to lose weight. It's just what worked for me. After I reached my goal weight, I was approached by Weight Watchers and asked to work for them at my weekly Saturday meetings. I decided to take them up on the offer. After all, I was still attending meetings after goal, so why not?

About two months ago, I started gaining weight, and now I am about 8 pounds from my goal weight. In fact, I even made a post about how I decided to go back and start counting points again. Since that time, my body hasn't known what to do with itself. Even though I'm writing down what I'm eating and tracking away, my body has been on a path of lose 2 pounds, gain 2 pounds. It's frustrating stepping on the scale each week because I feel like I should have lost this weight a long time ago.

Last weekend, I was scheduled to weigh in at my Weight Watchers meeting. I woke up feeling great about the choices I had been making, but when I stepped on the scale, I was disappointed. The scale was up, yet again. I called the husband and we had a long chat. By the end of the conversation, I asked him to hide the scale in our house.

I'm tired. I'm tired of a little number on a scale determining how I feel about myself. I'm tired of making healthy choices and feeling "bad" about seeing a higher number on the scale. From now on, I've committed to weighing in only once a month, like Weight Watchers mandates, and to toss aside any other scale in my life. I'm also realizing that the little number doesn't determine if I'm good or bad. It's just a number, and I am on a path to being comfortable with that.

How do you deal with the scale? Any tips or suggestions?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

2 comments:

Rose said... Best Blogger Tips

You just described the exact reason why I stopped going to WW. I'm a fan of the program, and it did help me lose 20 lbs - but I became so obsessive with the scale, and I needed that to stop. I found that I was much less happy during that period of my life. I got to the point where even 1/2 of a pound gained would cause a major freak out.

Now, I follow a different path when it comes to watching what I eat. I just eat real food. Granted, my weight is up again (more from a lack of exercise than anything), but I've held onto a lot of the WW principles - balance, portion control. I can do all that. I just can't do the scale anymore.

I think going once a month would be good for you!

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Rose,

Thank you so much for the comment. I really appreciate you sharing your story. I can definitely relate to the 1/2 pound gain freakout. I'm the same exact way, and I have to learn to be okay with the number on the scale-especially when I know I'm eating real food.