Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Mock Meatloaf

I am extremely lucky to have a husband who doesn't mind when I experiment in the kitchen. He will try almost anything once, without any complaints. When I told him I wanted to make a meatless meatloaf, he told me that he couldn't wait to try it.

I went off to Trader Joe's looking for some Boca crumbles and came up empty-handed. The only thing they had was Lightlife mock sausage meat. I figured I had nothing to lose, put two packages in my cart and hoped for the best.


When I set out to make the meatloaf, I was a little weirded out. The fake sausage stuck somewhat to the wrapper and was extremely moist. I used my normal meatloaf recipe and baked it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. The result? Well....mock meatloaf of course!



As far as taste goes, it was more like a sausage loaf (obviously because they only had sausage mock meat). I was surprised that the consistency was similar to meatloaf and I didn't even miss the ground beef. In the future, I think I'll stick to the meat crumbles, but the Lightlife mock sausage wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to me. In fact, I think it would make an excellent addition to breakfast.

Until next time,
~Anne Marie

0 comments: