Friday, March 27, 2009

Oh Skinny Bitch, What Have You Done?

Since reading Geneen Roth's book on emotional eating, I have become very interested in learning about the cycle of eating-why we overeat, situations that cause us to feel the way we do, etc. Losing weight and the cycle of eating is something that fascinates me.



I went to the library last weekend and came across the book "Skinny Bitch" I had heard many great things about the book so I decided to read it. I don't think I have ever read a book with such intensity. After reading it, I decided to dapple with the idea of becoming vegetarian and possibly vegan. I had thought about doing this a few years ago, but the thought of giving up meat pushed the idea out of my head. "Skinny Bitch" changed the way I view certain foods. Things that I really used to like before-milk, yogurt, splenda, meat.....make me sick when I look at them. For the past week, every time I ate yogurt, I kept thinking of the chemicals that are in the milk, asking myself why we are the only species that drinks milk as adults, and the poor treatment of the cows. After talking with the husband, I decided that I wanted to become a vegetarian....at the least. Unfortunately, the husband and I already pre-made our meals for next week (meatloaf and stuffed peppers are sitting in our fridge as we speak). I have vowed that as soon as that is gone, my vegetarianism will be in "full effect."



Part of me gets these negative feelings when I think about switching up my diet. What if I gain back the weight I lost? What if I become out of control with all of the yummy foods? I know these thoughts are irrational, but it doesn't help me feel them any less. I hate how my thoughts mess with my mind. Realistically, not eating meat or fish and eating much more vegetables and obtaining protein from other places is a GREAT thing for my health. I remember feeling the exact same way when I decided to make the switch from counting points on Weight Watchers to following the Core Plan. I was scared that relying on myself know when I was hungry or how much I could eat of something would end in ultimate failure. And you know what? It HASN'T - not even a year later.


This weekend the husband and I are going away on a married couple's retreat. I have made a commitment to myself to start my vegetarianism this weekend. I'll post back on how it turned out.


Stay tuned for the recaps from the retreat. Even though we are only going away for a few short days, we were told to bring a few snacks just in case we are hungry and we can't get food. The husband and I filled half a shopping bag with snacks. Seriously, we should have just brought the entire cabinet! I took a picture for your viewing pleasure and will post it when I get back.


Have a great weekend!



~Anne Marie

1 comments:

Mimi said... Best Blogger Tips

Hello! I just started reading your blog!

I'm not a huge fan of Skinny Bitch, from the tone to some of the claims, but I definitely support the trend of understanding where one's food is coming from. Ignorance is not bliss when one's kids wind up with three ears and webbed feet because one dined on chemicals for 3 decades!

I like meat too much to give it up, but I try to eat mindfully--grass-fed beef, hormone-free chicken, etc.

The blind eyes towards the food industry appall me!

Haha, I'm an opinionated sort. Great blog!